sks-devel

Re: [Sks-devel] Ptree corruption (and Debian .deb)

From: Teun Nijssen
Subject: Re: [Sks-devel] Ptree corruption (and Debian .deb)
Date: Wed, 12 May 2010 09:47:47 +0200

Hi all,

on 2010-05-11 18:31 Javier Henderson wrote the following:
> I run two keyservers, one has just two peers, the other has about a dozen.
>
> The one with a dozen peers sees periodic corruption, necessitating a rebuild.
> From what I've seen after asking the great google mind, this seems to happen
> periodically, and there was even a posting this morning by someone dropping
> out of the ring because of this problem.
>
> Both of the keyservers I run are on 1.1.1, which I believe is latest and
> greatest.
>
> Any thoughts on this?

I'm running pgp.surfnet.nl which existed even before the Horowitz server was
developed. I have in the past years run SKS straight from the Debian
repositories on solid hardware, currently 1.1.0. So far I never had any
database corruption, neither DB nor Ptree.

A couple of days ago I setup a 1.1.1 server (xw0117.uvt.nl) on Ubuntu 1004. It
recons only with pgp.surfnet.nl. On purpose I pre-loaded only 90% of the
Pramberger dump, to stress test pgp.surfnet .nl when it had to recon ~200k
keys. That took a few hours, but everything works and the surfnet machine had
no problem at all spitting out multiple 100 key blobs.

My only real problem appears to be locking on the surfnet box, when elsewhere
people start reconning ;large numbers of keys. The server always continuous
running but Nagios gets upset with its slowness during the locking.

Does anyone running Debian the 'apt-get install sks' version 1.1.1 release
have corruption problems?

cheers,

teun