sks-devel

Re: [Sks-devel] 2 out of 10 pool.sks-keyservers.net not responding to pi

From: Robert J. Hansen
Subject: Re: [Sks-devel] 2 out of 10 pool.sks-keyservers.net not responding to pings
Date: Mon, 29 Nov 2010 17:08:31 -0500

On 11/29/10 5:00 PM, Daniel Kahn Gillmor wrote:
> i've heard these claims about ping, and i confess i've never properly
> understood them, particularly for hosts with services operating on
> well-known ports.

Doesn't matter.  Whether the policies are wise or foolish doesn't change
the fact these policies exist.

> i don't understand this sentiment; if we think this is reasonable, it's
> entirely acceptable to say so, even when not everyone can follow
> through.

You're not proposing the community deem it reasonable, though -- the
community already seems to agree that it is reasonable.

You're proposing the community deem it ought be conformed with if at all
possible -- and there we part ways.

SHOULD is a loaded word.  It means, "if you fail to conform with this
part of the spec you should have a darned compelling reason."  I don't
think we're at that point with respect to the ICMP issue.  It seems to
be pretty clearly a MAY.