sks-devel

Re: [Sks-devel] sks-keyserver Fedora Linux

From: Arnold
Subject: Re: [Sks-devel] sks-keyserver Fedora Linux
Date: Mon, 25 Apr 2011 19:59:14 +0200

Hi,

On 04/25/2011 03:00 PM, Jeff Johnson wrote:
> On Apr 25, 2011, at 8:29 AM, Robert Hinson wrote:
>> I tried running the pre compiled sks keyserver on a fedora 14 box.
>> I do the sks build ./dump/*.pgp -n 10 -cache 100
>> It craps out after like 2 minutes.  Anyone else experience this problem?
>
> Yes. The problem is in fact described though somewhat obscurely:
> You need to adjust the -n and -cache parameters.

> There's a third path to "works" is loading a truncated dump. There are
> approximately 200 files (depending on chosen per-dump-file-size) used
> in initializing a SKS server. Removing some of those files is another
> way to achieve a load in spite of difficulties with "crap out" related
> (apparently, I do not know) to the amount of memory resources available.

I used this route (on a normal build instead of a fastbuild). I did the
initial build with something like 10 files. Then I did a for-loop on the
shell for (small groups of) the remaining files using 'sks merge ...' With
this I also played with -n and -cache. The advantage is you are working with
relative little data at a time, so it is faster to determine relative good
values for -n and -cache by trial and error.

Like in sks_build.sh, you end with a 'sks cleandb' and 'sks pbuild'. If the
latter gives you also problems, then (if I remember right) you can also do a
pbuild after the initial build. 'Merge' updates both databases, but will
take more time.

The overall time was longer than normal, but I was more in control.

> Please note that removing files from the dump in order to achieve an initial
> load WILL lead to a very large update (I've seen >24 hours needed to
> "catch up") when you start peering.

This is prevented by 'merge' of the remaining files.

Arnold