sks-devel

Re: [Sks-devel] Problem with IPv6 detection in the pool?

From: Matthew Palmer
Subject: Re: [Sks-devel] Problem with IPv6 detection in the pool?
Date: Sun, 29 May 2011 16:25:18 +1000

On Sun, May 29, 2011 at 01:16:25PM +1000, Matthew Palmer wrote:
> I just noticed that keys.kfwebs.net is currently listed as the only
> IPv6-capable keyserver in the status page at sks-keyservers.net/status.
> Methinks something may have gone wrong there.  As far as I can tell my
> keyserver (sks.hezmatt.org) is still reachable via IPv6, and I suspect there
> may be a problem in the IPv6 detection given that *everybody* has dropped
> off.

Following up to myself, I noticed that pages off sks-keyservers.net were
taking a while to load, and it seems to be because IPv6 connections are
failing.  Thus, my guess is that the "does IPv6 work?" code is based on a "can
keys.kfwbs.net connect to it?" check, and keys.kfwebs.net has lost IPv6
connectivity and hence everything else looks dead.

A consequence of this is that pool.sks-keyservers.net is effectively dead
over IPv6, since the only node in it is unreachable from (presumably) the
rest of the world.

- Matt

--
Ruby's the only language I've ever used that feels like it was designed by a
programmer, and not by a hardware engineer (Java, C, C++), an academic