sks-devel

[Sks-devel] keyserver.rainydayz.org back up

From: Andy Ruddock
Subject: [Sks-devel] keyserver.rainydayz.org back up
Date: Tue, 19 Feb 2013 17:19:44 +0000

Hi all,

keyserver.rainydayz.org is back up and running. I had problems getting
it going with the Debian package, so here's a quick description of
what I did to recover.

After installing the sks package I tried using the sks_build.sh script
to rebuild the database from a downloaded dump. This hung, as it turns
out only a single file could be loaded from the dump.
I had another machine with a database which was up to date until
mid-December, so tried copying that but ran into "out of space for
mutex" errors each time I tried to start sks - even after running "sks
cleandb".
So I "promoted" my backup sks to be my primary server and let it catch
up, which took very little time.
I then ran sks_build with a single .pgp file on my original keyserver,
giving it a database with only 25000 keys. I then put the newly
promoted keyserver as the only entry in it's membership file and
started it off.
It crashed with the "mutex space" error after only a short time, so I
killed the sks processes and ran "sks cleandb". The stats page showed
that it had imported 5000 new keys.
I started it again, it crashed again and I repeated the kill & "sks
cleandb" procedure. A few thousand more keys were imported before it
crashed.
I repeated, and after about twenty restarts it set off updating, not
crashing again until the database contained about 1,500,000 keys.
So it continued, crashing again at about 2,500,000 keys.
This morning the database caught up. So I demoted the other database
and re-initiated the new copy as my primary keyserver.
I'm using quite old & slow machines for these keyservers, it took
about 4 days to recon the whole database (minus the original 25000 keys).

Anyway, back up and running - I hope the "sks build" bug gets fixed,
It's been reported and exists within their bug reporting system.

- --
Andy Ruddock
address@hidden (GPG Key ID 0xB0324245)