sks-devel

Re: [Sks-devel] nginx proxy_ignore_client_abort with kqueue

From: Phil Pennock
Subject: Re: [Sks-devel] nginx proxy_ignore_client_abort with kqueue
Date: Fri, 1 Mar 2013 16:12:43 -0500

On 2013-02-28 at 04:34 -0500, Phil Pennock wrote:
> So, it appears that nginx is not honouring:
>   proxy_ignore_client_abort on;
> if the server was built with kqueue support (FreeBSD).

Turns out, this comes from the still-experimental SPDY patch.

Waited a day, got no response, went ahead and posted to the nginx list;
got a nice (and speedy (*ducks)) response from Maxim Dounin.

CONCLUSION:

  SKS keyserver operators who are using an nginx reverse proxy, on a
  KQUEUE-enabled system, SHOULD NOT apply the SPDY patch to nginx, in
  the patch's current form (patch version 65).

  SKS keyserver operators who use nginx *MUST* set:
    proxy_ignore_client_abort on;
  in server blocks which pass requests onto SKS.

  Applying that patch will break interop with versions of GnuPG which
  use `shutdown(sock, SHUT_WR)` on their client connections, which
  happens in some versions when GnuPG is not built against a real
  libcurl library.  This affects current releases of GnuPG2 (but not
  GnuPG1) in the wild, and the fix has been applied to the GnuPG
  STABLE-BRANCH-2-0 branch, to be in the next release, but we should
  expect broken versions to still be around for a few years.

I'm cautiously optimistic that a future version the SPDY patch will gain
some kind of work-around, perhaps including another new option.  We'll
see.

I'll update the wiki page with guidance.

-Phil