sks-devel

[Sks-devel] Filtering specific keys

From: Johan van Selst
Subject: [Sks-devel] Filtering specific keys
Date: Thu, 11 Apr 2013 09:25:21 +0200

Greetings,

I would like to see the option in SKS to filter out (hide) PGP keys with
specific keyids and email addresses locally; e.g. using a blacklist
taken from a local configuration file. Since SKS already has display
filters that hide some broken keys, I think it shouldn't be very hard to
implement this.

The reason for this is to be able to comply with notice-and-take-down
orders. We talked about this two years ago when Pramberger's server was
forced offline by an Austrian user, but similar cases are likely -
especially with regard to images included in some PGP keys. At the
moment a user in France is contacting keyserver owners to get keys taken
offline that have been uploaded by others, using his name and email
address.

Although it would impact consistency among keyservers, hiding keys seems
a better solution than removing them altogether, or having some servers
taken offline because they are unable to comply with local legislation.
Removing keys globally may not be necessary in many cases, as laws
regarding privacy, trademarks, offensive pictures etc. are very
different in different countries.

Regards,
Johan