sks-devel

Re: [Sks-devel] sks 1.1.4 fails to start

From: Jeffrey Johnson
Subject: Re: [Sks-devel] sks 1.1.4 fails to start
Date: Mon, 19 Aug 2013 18:40:35 -0400

On Aug 19, 2013, at 6:30 PM, Daniel Kahn Gillmor wrote:

> On 08/16/2013 10:03 AM, James Cloos wrote:
>> It looks like this might be a debian error.
>>
>> sks-1.1.4 from debian experimental fails reliably when using sid, as of
>> the latest upgrade to libdb5.1 (5.1.29-7) in sid.
>
> thanks for reporting this as http://bugs.debian.org/719876 -- it sounds
> to me like you're suggesting bdb may have changed some of its internal
> interfaces or data structures without bumping version numbers.  that's
> pretty worrisome :(

There is/was a known incompatibility in Berkeley DB 5.1.19 -> 5.1.29.

I believe I even reported here: see

http://upstream-tracker.org/compat_reports/libdb/5.1.19_to_5.1.25/abi_compat_report.html#Top
where a field was removed in the middle of a structure, thereby shifting
trailing fields.

Hmmm ... the symptoms at http://bugs.debian.org/719876 _might_ be related,
its too hard to guess on an operating system I don't use.

Use one or the other version everywhere, and do not expect interoperability
between
versions.

The problem could be easily avoided if Berkeley DB was bundled with SKS.

73 de Jeff