sks-devel

Re: [Sks-devel] Configuring the reverse proxy to support large keys - HT

From: Daniel Kahn Gillmor
Subject: Re: [Sks-devel] Configuring the reverse proxy to support large keys - HTTP error 413
Date: Mon, 28 Apr 2014 14:16:30 -0400

On 04/28/2014 02:07 PM, Phil Pennock wrote:

> For now, if it's taken 15 years for someone keen on key signings to
> reach a 1MB limit, then I think that 8MB, covering 120 years of
> activity at such a rate, is likely to be enough for most normal mortal
> human beings.  It's certainly enough to set as a limit for now,

I agree with Phil that this number is a reasonable limit for now, but i
don't agree with his back-of-the-envelope math.

in particular, many of the pre-existing OpenPGP certifications on an
older key like weasel's were certifications made by 1024-bit DSA keys.
I suspect the certifications made on weasel's new key will likely be
made by 4096-bit RSA keys.  DSA signatures are (much) smaller than RSA
signatures even when of the same key length, and RSA signatures
themselves scale with keysize.  So i think 8MiB is likely to be fine for
today, and we may need to update it sooner rather than later.

(hopefully in 5 years from now we will all have started a move to
stronger/shorter elliptic curve-based keys, but that transition is
likely to take a while)

Regards,

        --dkg