solang-devel

[Solang-devel] Re: [Tracker] nikon project

From: Adrien Bustany
Subject: [Solang-devel] Re: [Tracker] nikon project
Date: Tue, 23 Mar 2010 12:45:00 +0100

On Tue, 23 Mar 2010 06:12:54 +0200, Alexey Fisher
<address@hidden> wrote:
> Hi Debarshi.
>
> Am Montag, den 22.03.2010, 23:09 +0200 schrieb Debarshi Ray:
>> > 1) i wrote small commandline tool in c if you point it to DCIM folder
>> > it
>> > will output tagged list of paths. Is it what you mean?
>>
>> What about a small application that imports photos (or videos, etc.)
>> from cameras, which apart from simply copying over the files also
>> deciphers the information from the DCIM folder and inserts the
>> relevant things into Tracker? The file copying part is already done by
>> gthumb-importer, etc., but not the second part.
>
> Before i start actual coding i need to know what is where located. I
> mean if do DCIM interpreter, should it be located in tracker-extractor
> or in photo downloader. It seems like it will be better than interpreter
> will be inside of the tracker and downloader should only update file
> paths in tracker database.
I think Debarshi thinks about a stand alone, tracker enabled photo
importer.
That is, it would be a regular binary (invoked by the desktop environment
when a camera device is detected) which would import the photos to a
standard
location (presumably the XDG dir), and insert extracted/inferred metadata
into Tracker. Ideally, the frontend and the backend would be separate, a
dbus service with two frontends (gtk/qt based) would be awesome. You could
even propose it as a spec for XDG when you get something done.