solang-devel

[Solang-devel] Re: [Solang-users] New User Interface for Solang

From: Alexey Fisher
Subject: [Solang-devel] Re: [Solang-users] New User Interface for Solang
Date: Sat, 05 Jun 2010 12:20:44 +0200

Am Samstag, den 05.06.2010, 00:09 +0200 schrieb Florent Thévenet:
> Hi Solang users,
> I'd like to share an idea I had, to create a simpler, nicer UI for
> Solang.
> It's based on the idea that what you want from a photo manager is
> viewing your photos and viewing information about theses photos.
> To view your photos correctly you need : large space to display the
> photos, easy way to go to The photo you want to view.
> Then information like EXIF tags, histogram, geomarking... could be
> displayed where it doesn't take too much space; as screens are
> rectangular a sidebar is a good idea.
>
> So here's the first mockup : http://feuloren.free.fr/01_tags.png
> No more toolbar, it takes too much spaces on the screen and is not so
> useful. I replaced it by a "magic bar" inspired by both apple iPad's
> photo application and Solang's search basket.
> When you launch Solang, there are some radio buttons to choose the way
> you want to find your photos :
> *all photos ordered by date
> *photos grouped by tags
> *grouped by events, faces...
>
> When you "open" (double-click on) a group, Solang displays the photos of
> this group and the magic bar change to something like that:
> http://feuloren.free.fr/02_tag_selected.png
> The "Tags" button let you go back to the "main page", next button is the
> tag you've just selected, then a "+" because the magic bar is exactly
> like solang's search basket : you can add several filters to get
> particular photos.
>
> Filters have a contextual menu: http://feuloren.free.fr/03_tag_menu.png
> When you save a set of filters a "Saved Searches" category is added to
> the main page: http://feuloren.free.fr/04_searches.png
>
> Finally the "enlarged-renderer" :
> http://feuloren.free.fr/05_img_view.png
> A button to go back to browser, previous/next buttons, a button to start
> a slidehow, another one to go fullscreen (dunno if it's really
> necessary).
>
> Thanks for reading, tell me what you think about it, if it's a good idea
> or if it's not what you need from Solang.
>
> Cheers

Hi Still didn't used solang, but i hope next week after i'll come from
southafrika i'll do it.
I think you are on gut path but i think you forget - searching photos is
a second step.
_First of all you should group it_!!! I mean tag and rate it. Sorry for
my scream but, i think in most/all (f-spot, digiKam, lightroom, iPhoto
or aperture) programs it is forgotten.
I use on my trip in SA f-spot installed on netbook with 1024x600
resolution. On each import i get about 300 photos, first of all i need
to remove bad photos so i rate it.
---> To rate a photo you do not need to see anything except histogram,
rate and image as big as possible. There is no need of editor or tag
list or any thing els.
It should be possible to work only with the import i currently working
on. After rating i need do delete all bad rated photos in current
import.
After you have only photos you wont to have, it will be good to tag it.
Here you do not need histogram, or some thing els (geoposition should be
optional).
--> All place i can use, will be great to have only for tag list and
photos.

Regards, Alexey