spamass-milt-list

Re: Making Spamass-Milt respect virtusertable and aliases (fwd)

From: Dan Nelson
Subject: Re: Making Spamass-Milt respect virtusertable and aliases (fwd)
Date: Mon, 11 Aug 2003 17:16:39 -0500

In the last episode (Aug 11), Tony Shadwick said:
> We have a mail host, @tseinc.com.  I create the user 'limited'.  Their
> e-mail address is now address@hidden
>
> On an external mail exchanger (not the same system) there is a
> virtusertable entry stating that  address@hidden is actually
> address@hidden
>
> Said user HATES spamassassin, and is demanding that it be taken off of
> his account.  Okay, so I go into his user_prefs and set his threshhold to
> 100.  His mail is still getting tagged as spam because spamassassin is
> looking for the user 'bob' to read his prefs, isn't finding that user, so
> it's using the global defaults instead of ever thinking to look at
> 'limited'.
>
> I have one workaround in mind, but it's a real kludge.  In my first
> example, it would be to create the user bob, symlink his ~/.spamassassin
> directory to limited's home, set a .forward in bob's home directory to
> address@hidden
>
> Okay, so wishful thinking is something that checks /etc(/mail)/aliases and
> /etc/mail/virtusertable and uses the correct user_prefs.  Is there a way I
> can manually set this up on a per-user basis so I don't have users wanting
> to rip my head off?

I just started adding code to expand usernames;  if you want to see
whether it'll do what you want, try build the current CVS (or 0.2.0+cvs
tarball from teh website) and run with the -d rcpt flag.  It'll log
something like this for each recipient:

Aug 11 17:05:34 gatekeeper spamass-milter[24972]: calling /usr/sbin/sendmail
-bv "<address@hidden>"
Aug 11 17:05:34 gatekeeper spamass-milter[24972]: sendmail output:
address@hidden deliverable: mailer esmtp, host dan.emsphone.com., user
address@hidden
Aug 11 17:05:34 gatekeeper spamass-milter[24972]: user: address@hidden
Aug 11 17:05:34 gatekeeper spamass-milter[24972]: Expanded to 1 recipients
Aug 11 17:05:34 gatekeeper spamass-milter[24972]: remembering recipient
<address@hidden>

Currently all it does it log.  The final code will call spamc with the
expanded username (the one on the third line in the above output), only
if it expanded to one recipient.  If it expands to more than one,
you'll get the "defaultuser" value just like if the mail was addressed
to two recipients originally.

Let me know if it's logging correctly-expanded virtusertable users; I
don't have any so I have just been testing with /etc/aliases expansion.

--
        Dan Nelson
        address@hidden