spamass-milt-list

Re: question on "-u defaultuser" parameter:

From: Cassandra Lynette Brockett
Subject: Re: question on "-u defaultuser" parameter:
Date: Mon, 13 Oct 2003 12:08:07 -0700 (PDT)

Pat Masterson said:
> Is "defaultuser" a required string? Or am I suppoded to substitute a
> real user name like "nobody" here?

The reason it says "defaultuser" is becuase you are supposed to substitute
the name of a user you want the spamassassin process to default to.

In my case I have a user "multi" in the SpamAssassin preferences database
and every time I get in a multi-recipient email it gets handled using the
preferences for that user.  If you don't run from a database, nobody is
not a bad choice.  The user you choose should exist somewhere that SA can
use somehow, otherwise SA will default to the root user (which may or may
not be a bad idea).

>From what I can tell the option is included in the milter as quite often
the user a piece of spam is "addressed" to is not always the user(s) it is
being delivered to, and as such relying on just the -u option from spamc
means you would quite often get an invalid user for spam - hence the
option to set a default user for the SpamAssassin process.

--
Regards,
    Cassandra