spamass-milt-list

Re: spamassass-milter-0.2.0+cvs

From: Dan Nelson
Subject: Re: spamassass-milter-0.2.0+cvs
Date: Sun, 19 Oct 2003 12:14:40 -0500

In the last episode (Oct 19), Niki Waibel said:
> sendmail/SECURITY:
> ===
> What doesn't work anymore
> -------------------------
> Normal users can't use mailq anymore to see the MTA mail queue.
> There are several ways around it, e.g., changing QueueFileMode
> or giving users access via a program like sudo.
> sendmail -bv may give misleading output for normal users since it
> may not be able to access certain files, e.g., .forward files of
> other users.
> ===

Arg.

> i dont understand
> ===
> sfsistat
> mlfi_envrcpt(SMFICTX* ctx, char** envrcpt)
> ===
> compleatly.
>
> can you explain why you need to know the recipients?

Say you have an email alias pointing "webadmin" to "localuser".  An
email delivered to "address@hidden" won't get processed with the
right user rules, since there is no "webadmin" account.  You need to
ask sendmail what a particular address expands to, and -bv is the only
way I have found.

> if it is not absolutely necessary to know all recipients,
> what about having a switch to use ``/usr/lib/sendmail -Ac ...''
> instead of ``/usr/lib/sendmail -Am ...'' (which is the default in
> -bv mode)?
>
> and/or a switch to get rid of calling /usr/lib/sendmail again... this
> could be a good way to reduce the load in high traffic environments.

Yes, I'll probably have to do both.  Although compared to the cost of
running spamassassin at all, the time spent running the 2nd sendmail
copy is probably in the noise.

--
        Dan Nelson
        address@hidden