spamass-milt-list

Re: -B address@hidden still goes to original reciepient?

From: Dan Nelson
Subject: Re: -B address@hidden still goes to original reciepient?
Date: Sat, 27 Mar 2004 12:43:40 -0600

In the last episode (Mar 26), Tony Shadwick said:
> I'm a bit confused here.  I'm in the process of scripting an e-mail
> quarantine system so that spam and virus e-mails go the quarantine,
> the original recipient doesn't get the message, and about once every
> 8 hours or so a script is run to parse through the quarantine, and
> e-mail the users a summary of hte quarantined messages, and options
> for retrieving false-positives, as most of our users are pop3, not
> imap.
>
> The problem I've run into already is that I should probably use -B as
> opposed to -b to keep the message as much in it's original form as
> possible, and leave subject re-writing turned off, unless the user
> enables it.  However it appears that if I use -B, it goes not only to
> my quarantine box, but to the original recipient as well.  Is this a
> bug or a feature?

Feature.  If -B didn't send copies of the message to the recipients, it
would be -b :)  BTW, the only reason the message header is modified is
so that you can determine who the original recipients were.  Otherwise
you would not know who to send your notifications to.  There's no way
around this.

Neither -b nor -B affect subject rewriting.  You can disable that
either within spamassassin ("rewrite_subject 0"), or within the milter
(-m).  Note that -b -m will still add X-Spam-Orig-To: headers.

If you remove all the X-Spam-* headers, you should get the original
message itself.  If you're using -b -m, you only have to remove

I also have another milter in CVS called save-milter (no docs though).
Its only purpose is to save messages into a mysql database, so if you
put it in front of any other milters, you will save a pristine copy of
all messages.  This would let you fetch the original message as long as
you have the messageid.  I'm using this to allow Lotus Notes users to
retrain spam and ham (I just do subject rewriting).  It may not be
useful to you, since you're only interested in saving spam, but it's
another angle to think about.

--
        Dan Nelson
        address@hidden