spamass-milt-list

Re: Aliases are giving me fits

From: Jeff Ramsey
Subject: Re: Aliases are giving me fits
Date: Mon, 10 May 2004 22:11:01 -0700

On May 10, 2004, at 1:19 PM, Bart Schaefer wrote:

On Mon, 10 May 2004, Matt Kettler wrote:

At 01:03 PM 5/10/2004, Jeff Ramsey wrote:

handle_user() -> unable to find user [alias]!

Since spamd has does a setuid to the username passed in on the command
line, all the aliases will have to exist as users in your passwd file,
otherwise it's impossible for it to setuid.

This sounds like a job for the spamd virtual user feature.

Unfortunately that means either making all your users go through that
feature, or finding a way to pass aliases to a second copy of spamd on an
alternate port (so that you can run it with different options).

For example, we send all real users mail through

/usr/bin/spamd -d -A 127.0.0.1 -m 3

whereas all mailman mailing list aliases pass through

/usr/bin/spamd -d -L -p 7726 -u spamassassin -x -a -P \
 --virtual-config-dir=/var/lib/spamassassin/%u.prefs -A 127.0.0.1 -m 3

However, this is managed for us by a mailman plugin; I don't know how to
go about doing it for an arbitrary sendmail alias.

In case anyone ever searches for this fix, or is waiting for it right now, today's (05-10-2004) CVS version of spamass-milter fixes an issue that some OSes had with the -x flag of spamass-milter. My system is RH9, sendmail, spamassassin 2.63, spamass-milter-2.0-cvs, and MySQL 4.1. Aliases are mapped to username via a call to /usr/sbin/sendmail -bv "alias", which returns the correct username. It's fast, it works, I've got my custom PHP interface written and tested. Thanks to all who helped me with advice and or fixes.

Jeff Ramsey
MIS Administrator
Tubafor Mill, Inc.