spamass-milt-list

Re: Could not extract score from <>

From: Chris Crowley
Subject: Re: Could not extract score from <>
Date: Mon, 02 Aug 2004 10:51:51 -0500

Line wrapping fixed.  When you paste logfiles, it's much easier to read them
if you leave them as one line per log entry:

Just a tip, if you use a client that always wraps lines, you could attach the log entries in a .txt file that you make with a text editor like notepad. (People don't generally like attachments on lists, YMMV.)

Aug  1 11:04:50 gate spamass-milter[5349]: Could not extract score from <>

I am wondering whether spammers are now attempting to exploit a problem
with the software that causes this error to occur and allow their spam

spamass-milter can't find the X-Spam-Status: header.  It could be caused by
a parsing bug.

I see this error message in my logs, too. But it usually correlates to times when spamd has failed. Has there been a marked increase in e-mail traffic?

Are you experiencing timeouts on remote checks? When you see the "Could not extract score..." error message occurring, you could try restarting your spamd with "-L" so that you only do local checking. I found at one time that our DNS/pyzor/razor/... queries were delayed because of a congested uplink. Running spamd with "-L" for the short term was the best solution in that case because spamd would respond very quickly with the remote checks disabled. This decreases spamd's accuracy, but it would be more likely to catch spam than if it provides no response at all!

One last item worth considering is timing your response from spamd. I use a simple netcat script to check if spamd is answering. You might do something with time/timex to check the response timing to see if you are timing out for spamd when this problem is occurring:

"echo quit | nc -w 45 localhost 783"

You could record / graph the response time, and correlate that with error messages in your logs to see if this is the problem.

There may in fact be a parsing bug, but I wanted to add anecdotal experience I've had with that same error message in the log -- it usually is related to a failure or slowdown in spamd's response.

--
Christopher Crowley
address@hidden