spamass-milt-list

SCL Header?

From: Dan O'Brien
Subject: SCL Header?
Date: Mon, 14 Aug 2006 08:33:47 -0400

Much as it pains me to admit it, several of my clients are running MS Exchange servers behind their SpamAssassin mail filtering servers.  MS Exchange SP2 has "'Intelligent' Message Filtering" (which relies on another package to evaluate messages for spam-ness, but that's a topic for another disucssion).  An administrator can route a message to a user's Junk Mail folder based on the value found in the X-Spam-SCL SMTP header (an integer between 0 and 9, with higher values indicating a greater confidence that the message is spam).

I'd like to open discussion about the possibility that SpamAss-milter be enhanced to add an X-Spam-SCL header, based on the results of spamassassin's evaluation, as follows:

+ A new option, "-s [Header Name]" to enable the addition the X-Spam-SCL header

+ The "simple" implementation would be to assign the header value to 9 if SA tags as spam and 0 if it doesn't.

+ Additional granularity could be achieved with another option "-S [comma separated list of SA scores]", so that you can configure the correlation between SCL values and SA scores.  For example, -S -1,0.5,1.0,2.0,2.5,3.0,4.5,5.0,10.0,15.0 would mean that an SA score of -1.0 or less would have an SCL of zero, a score >-1 and <0.5 would have an SCL of 1, and so on up to messages scoring >= 15.0 would have an SCL  of 9.  (I don't know if these numbers make sense in the real world, but you get the idea.)

Any fellow 'milter users have thoughts on this idea?

Dan

Axon Solutions, Inc.           Telephone: 703-845-8400
P.O Box 16725                  Facsimile: 703-845-5568
Alexandria, VA  22302            www.axonsolutions.com