spamass-milt-list

Re: Going from procmail based SA to spamass-milter produces more spam

From: John E Hein
Subject: Re: Going from procmail based SA to spamass-milter produces more spam
Date: Fri, 27 Oct 2006 17:03:53 -0600

Ken Long wrote at 16:55 -0400 on Oct 27, 2006:
 > I am running a mail server that is running Debian Sarge.
 >
 > I have SpamAssassin installed with a package version of 3.0.3-2sarge
 >
 > Recently, we decided to use spamass-milter instead of doing it via
 > procmail.  So, I installed the debian package for spamass-milter 0.3.0.
 > After installing it, I had complaints from existing users (including
 > myself) that the amount of spam getting through had drastically
 > increased.
 >
 > The SA configuration had not changed.  The only thing that had changed
 > was that we implemented the milter.
 >
 > My /etc/defaults/spamass-milter file has this option to it:
 >
 > OPTIONS="-u nobody -x -i 127.0.0.1 -i 216.54.58.0/24 -i 192.168.0.0/16
 > -i 172.17.0.0/16 -r -1"
 >
 > (I since took out a bunch of the extra networks, but that does not seem
 > to have made much difference)
 >
 > What would cause this to happen and is there anything I can do to fix
 > it?
 >
 > Any help is greatly appreciated!

My guess is that you are not using the right Bayes DB and AWL DB.

Bump up the debug on spamd (and maybe spamass-milter).
Is it trying to lookup the Bayes db, etc., as the 'nobody' user?

And take a look at 'spamassassin -t' scores for a particular
spam that you received vs. the scores you see in the mail header.