spamass-milt-list

DATE_IN_FUTURE weirdness

From: Andrew Daviel
Subject: DATE_IN_FUTURE weirdness
Date: Fri, 7 May 2010 11:12:38 -0700 (PDT)

We have SpamAssassin 3.2.5 running with spamd, and a milter with sendmail 8.13.8.

We allow users to relay with authentication on the submission port on both our main MTA and on a secondary outbound MTA running Postfix. I.e. laptop users can have either of these set as their default SMTP server and they should be able to send mail whether they are onsite, at home etc. etc.

I noticed that sometimes I get spurious DATE_IN_FUTURE_96_XX tags when sending direct to the main MTA (the one with SA) with Alpine or Thunderbird. But not when I try "by hand" with netcat. The mail headers all look good - I can even paste the Alpine headers into netcat and get a different answer.

I tried dumping received-headers in SpamAssassin to a file and they seem to be getting mangled somehow. Apart from a spurious date a month in the past, I seem to lose some lines of Received header relating to authenticated-bits and TLS (which I am using to whitelist authenticated mail), so that mail scored with RCVD_IN_SORBS_DUL might get flagged as spam. If I run SA on a saved message, there is no problem, and the Received header is only mangled inside SA, not in the message saved to disk.

If I send via the Postfix MTA, there is no problem. And it does not happen with all mail agents - I see many whitelist tags for authenticated-bits in the log.

I may just upgrade SA and see if it goes away, but I wondered if anyone else had seen anything like this.

--
Andrew Daviel, TRIUMF, Canada
Tel. +1 (604) 222-7376  (Pacific Time)