straw-devel

Re: [Straw-devel] on removing the subscriptions list from preferences

From: Juri Pakaste
Date: Tue, 11 Nov 2003 23:29:11 +0200

On Tue, 2003-11-11 at 22:56, Scott Douglas-Watson wrote:
> My 2 cents:
>
> >Let's keep the subscriptions preference tab as it is, until all the
> >manipulation operations can be performed on the main list, and until
> >subscribe tool can handle all the weird corner cases (that is, until
> >rssfinder has been modified to use the facilities in URLFetch.)
> >
> It might be worthwhile keeping the subscriptions tab around even after
> that.
> The HIG recommends that all functionality available through popup menus
> should be available elsewhere as well, as  some users might not be aware
> popup menus are available.

Yeah, I know. Besides, the popup isn't accessible by keyboard, is it? I
figured that if we could fit all the stuff in the regular menus too, we
could get rid of the subscriptions tab. Unless it creates too much mess
in the menus?

> That said,  changes I was considering for the
> subscriptions tab:
> - lose the editable cells and use the properties dialog through a
> properties
> button.
> - add button brings up an empty properties dialog which the user can
> enter info into.
> - lose the location column.

Sounds sensible.

> - reorder of buttons to : Ascending, Up, Down, Add, Delete. As add and
> delete are
> probably going to be used less frequently as their functionality is
> available from the
> main screen.

No strong feelings about this one :-)

> Async IO stuff will probably require a fair bit of rework for the
> rssfinder, but probably fairly little on the subscribe tool side.

I'm hoping it wouldn't be such a big job after all on rssfinder side
either, but it's not going to be a five minute hack. Basically we need
to create a function around each network call, and an object that stores
the current state.

> Maybe if no feed was found we could
> show a "create feed anyway" button which will link to a properties dialog
> with
> the url the user entered.

Sounds good to me.

--