straw-devel

Re: [Straw-devel] alternative views

From: Jan Alonzo
Subject: Re: [Straw-devel] alternative views
Date: Sun, 16 Nov 2003 02:34:50 +1100

On Wed, 2003-11-12 at 05:16, Juri Pakaste wrote:
> enumerate the options below.
>
> 1) Subscriptions list + article view
>
> The user selects which feed to read from the list, the article view
> contains all the items in the feed, one after the other.

Not all. There should be an option in the properties on how many items
to display for this feed for this view. Either that or just display the
new items.

> 2) Article list + article view
>
> The article list contains all the articles in all the feeds (there
> should be one extra column saying which feed it is), article view
> contains the selected one.
>
> 3) Article view
>
> The article view contains all the articles in all the feeds.

Does anyone feel strongly about having this?

> And of course, options two and three might still have the subscriptions
> list visible, but it wouldn't be used for selecting feeds to read. And
> maybe those "all the items" item views should be paginated if the number
> of articles to show is > N.

See my response above for (1).

> A page list in the place of the item list? A
> dropdown list of pages? Links?
>
> Would you find it useful to have one or many of these available, as
> alternatives to the current view? How do you think it should work?

Yes, I find (1) useful. (1) is basically what you've already said plus
if the user selects an item in the item list, it should act as before,
displays data for that item. Select the feed, display N items for that
feed where N is based on what the user sets in the feed properties
dialog. Select item, display that item.

May I also suggest that we move the item view on the right, in its own
column so we can have:

 _______ __________ ________
|       |          |        |
| List  | Articles |  Item  |
|       |          |  View  |
|       |          |        |
|_______|__________|________|

Why? Because when you have a feed that updates frequently, article list
becomes populated a lot with new items and I want to browse it. I always
end up dragging the item view pane down further and dragging it back up
again to read the article.

With the proposed view, I can easily browse the articles at the same
time shift my attention to the item view if I want to read that article.

I hope I'm making sense.

Cheers,

--
Jan Alonzo <address@hidden>