straw-devel

Re: [Straw-devel] Re: Eliminate first screen of Subscribe druid?

From: Jan Alonzo
Subject: Re: [Straw-devel] Re: Eliminate first screen of Subscribe druid?
Date: Fri, 12 Dec 2003 17:27:49 +1100

On Fri, 2003-12-12 at 16:42, Steven Garrity wrote:
> I wrote:
>
> > The first 'page' of the Subscribe Feed druid has the message: "This
> > druid will guide you to the subscription process. Press the Forward
> > button if you want to continue." Could this not be eliminated and have
> > the druid start right at what is now the second screen "Feed Location"?
>

> Sorry for carrying on a conversation with myself here - but I've since
> come across what was likely the reasoning for the intro page in the
> "Subscribe Feeds" wizard: The HIG ask for it
> (http://developer.gnome.org/projects/gup/hig/1.0/windows.html#assistant-windows).

Hi, yeah that's the reason why we have the first page.

> I wonder, though, if a wizard might be overkill for this. The first page
> is an intro, and the third is a summary/conclusion - leaving only one
> page with a discrete function. Should this be changed to a 1-page
> dialog, or is enough more functionality in this wizard coming down the
> road that it should stay as is?

Well, if straw finds multiple feeds in the given url, it will display a
list of feeds for you to subscribe to (e.g. point the url to something
like gotdotnet.com or yahoo). Proper support for HTTP auth also comes to
mind (not yet in subscribe dialog).

--
Jan Alonzo <address@hidden>