straw-devel

[Straw-devel] amphetarate

From: Juri Pakaste
Subject: [Straw-devel] amphetarate
Date: Sat, 08 May 2004 16:20:26 +0300

Hey, the author of the AmphetaRate recommendation server
(http://amphetarate.sf.net/) sent me email and suggested we might
implement support for it in Straw. I was a bit sceptical at first, but I
suppose it might be an OK feature if it was optional and it was done
right. I'm not going to implement this myself soon, but if someone wants
to hack on it, consider this a preliminary approval.

How to do it right: first, it should be an optional feature. When it's
turned off, it shouldn't be visible in any way. It should be integrated
into the normal polling infrastructure (and the polling infrastructure
can be changed - maybe it needs more genericity for this kind of stuff -
if necessary.)

UI ideas: probably a "rate the article" box below the article view, or
possibly in the toolbar, by default "unrated". If the user rates it -
this should be doable with maximum ease, probably a key combo of
modifier + number to set the wanted rating - Straw should quietly
collect it, and send the ratings when the next polling run is done. Then
just show the AmphetaRate feed just like every other feed.

--
[ Juri Pakaste | address@hidden | http://www.iki.fi/juri/ ]