swarm-support

swarm directory name (was Re: Congrats & trivia)

From: Theodore C. Belding
Subject: swarm directory name (was Re: Congrats & trivia)
Date: Tue, 4 Feb 1997 08:00:22 -0500

Hi-
Since Swarm is meant to be a tool that will be around for the long term and
can be used as a common reference point by different researchers, I think
many people will want to keep to several different versions around.  (If
you *really* want to make sure you're duplicating somebody's results, you
have to use the same Swarm version.)  I know we do that here at Michigan,
since we still have applications that only compile under older Swarm
versions.  Would it be possible to have the tar file expand into a
directory that is named something like "swarm-<version>"?  This is the way
Tcl/Tk is distributed, for instance.  I think the fact that many of us are
still using Tcl 7.4/Tk 4.0 for Swarm instead of the current versions shows
that this is important.

Congratulations to the Swarm team!
-Ted

--
Ted Belding                      <mailto:address@hidden>
University of Michigan Program for the Study of Complex Systems