swarm-support

Re: Only root can "make" programs using GCC after linux reinstall/kerne

From: Scott Christley
Subject: Re: Only root can "make" programs using GCC after linux reinstall/kernel upgrade
Date: Sat, 15 Nov 1997 11:57:09 -0800

At 05:46 AM 11/15/97 -0500, Paul E. Johnson wrote:

>I killed linux by mistake, reinstalled redhat 4.2, then got the updated
>kernel source from ftp.varesearch.com for linux 2.0.31 and made the kernel
>and reinstalled.

And you say you don't know unix, you're like a certified linux hacker now! ;-)

>I don't guess I'll do any damange by just changing permissions on the src
>directory for 2.0.31 to allow anyone read access?

No it shouldn't.  The command

chmod -R a+r src

will recurse down all the subdirectories of src and set the read access bit.

My guess is that the kernel source you got had some odd permissions.

>Why doesn't GCC just
>use the time.h it finds in /usr/include?

The one in /usr/include will be a generic one that then includes a specific
one located elsewhere.  The reason for this is that different platforms like
i86, sparc, and alpha will have some stuff written in assembly language or
may have different definitions.

Scott

   with "help" in the body of the message.