swarm-support

Re: Swarm likes D: on Win98

From: Paul Johnson
Subject: Re: Swarm likes D: on Win98
Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2000 08:33:58 -0600 (CST)

On Mon, 31 Jan 2000, Murat Yildizoglu wrote:

> I use Win98 and have been able to succesfully install cygwin and
> Swarm on my D drive. It has never complained and the installation
> has automatically fixed everything necessary. So, I think this point
> of the FAQ does not apply to win98. Maybe it only applies to NT?

As you know, the statements in the FAQ reflect my experience. If you look
at the way the FAQ is written, it takes a conservative stance.  It says
that I had a lot of trouble with earlier versions of swarm and
installation on D:, so I don't even try anymore.  From reports of some
users like you, I have become convinced that non-C:\ installations work
most of the time with the newest swarm.  But, just when I think it is safe
to change the FAQ, then somebody crops up with a non-C:\ install that does
not work.

One corrollary problem seems to be that when people install cygnus in a
nondefault place, they somehow foul up the swarm install.  I have no clue
how they get that wrong, but it happened to two students just last week.

PJ
lot my sig again

   with "help" in the body of the message.