swarm-support

Re: invalid receiver type 'void'

From: pauljohn
Subject: Re: invalid receiver type 'void'
Date: Fri, 27 Apr 2001 14:56:24 -0500

Please rethink the audience that you should address with a question like
that.  IT is Tim Jares's code, which I hacked a bit 6 months ago to make
it work on my Linux system.  Its not really a matter for this kind of a
public email list.

As for my part of it, all I can say is that code did work back then.
I'd suggest you get the original tar ball from Tim's place and see how
that performs for you, and try to edit from there.  If it doesn't work
for you, you probably ought to contact Tim directly.

If you keep having trouble, Tim and/or I will have to know what platform
you are running and which exact version of swarm causes you to see the
problem.  As I recall, the Tim's code had some C code that was not
portable to Windows systems, and I had to cobble around that.  But if
the versions of swarm or gcc have changed in the interim, then new
problems will arise.  I believe, in fact, that is what you are seeing.

In other words, Tim and/or I may be able to help if you do some more
checking. It is probably not appropriate to ask Tim about a package of
his code that I patched, so you should get his package and try from
there, or contact me directly about the package I provided, and give me
more info address@hidden

Krishnan Viswanathan wrote:

> I downloaded the source codes for the articles in "Econ. Sim. in Swarm"
> from Paul Johnson's site. On running the code for chapter 7 - Numerical
> Modeling, Noise Traders and the Swarm Sim. Sys. I got the following
> error on make.
> MktModelSwarm.m:330: warning: invalid receiver type `void '
> MktModelSwarm.m:330: void value not ignored as it ought to be
> MktModelSwarm.m:330: invalid use of void expression
>
> The relevant code for this is:
> traderElement = [wealthGraph createElement];
> [[[traderElement setLabel: "all traders"] setColor: "black"] setWidth:
> 3];
>
> Any help or pointers on fixing this is much appreciated.
>
> Thanks
> Krishnan

   with "help" in the body of the message.