swarm-support

Re: [Swarm-Support] Installing Swarm on CentOS 5.2 AMD64 box

From: Marcus G. Daniels
Subject: Re: [Swarm-Support] Installing Swarm on CentOS 5.2 AMD64 box
Date: Mon, 03 Nov 2008 07:07:06 -0700

Gary Polhill wrote:
I'm working on a project trying to deploy Swarm on the grid, so I was curious to see the extra issues that arose in trying to build javaswarm. For grid deployment, of course, one would normally expect everything to run in batch mode.
The main thing is that the code that forwards calls from Objective to other runtimes (e.g. Java) needs to be fixed for various targets like x86_64. One way to avoid this problem (the need to forward) is to use the FCall scheduling methods instead of Objective-C style messaging. Really it should be fixed. As for dropping the non-GUI stuff, there's at least nothing added by Java w.r.t. GUI dependencies. Scott Christley added some configure-time options for building without Tcl/Tk but I haven't tried it myself. It won't slow your models down to just have GUI support in the build.

Marcus