Re: [Traverso-devel] Jmb GUI concept: how to proceed

From: Remon Sijrier
Subject: Re: [Traverso-devel] Jmb GUI concept: how to proceed
Date: Tue, 27 Jun 2006 13:34:24 +0200

> I see what you mean, but frankly, pressing <esc> to close a dialog and
> accept the changes just feels strange to me. Of course the JMB concept is a
> good opportunity to break with old traditions, but nevertheless we should
> not ignore the lable on the key, and I think <esc> is commonly accepted as
> 'close and forget what I did'.

Makes sense.
Perhaps, I should have made a distinction between "dialogs" and "JMB enabled
windows".

In a standard dialog, you have to hit the "Ok" or "cancel" button.
But as I mentioned, a JMB enabled Dialog or windows doesn't "set" anything by
an accept or discard button!
It's just the same if you move a slider in a standard application, the change
will take effect immediately!

Since you hold the mouse with the right hand, and the left hands mostly
resides on the _left_ side of the keyboard, it makes sense to me to close
the "JMB enabled view" with a key on the left side of the keyboard.
Perhaps <esc> isn't the best choiche, but well, why not?

I agree that "normal" dialog should obey the "ok" or "cancel" button, and if
<esc> is used, the changes are _not_ applied!

What do you think?

Specially if the mouse buttons are gonna be used to adjust the moving
sensitiviness, hmm, well, thats not a big deal actually, since those would
be "hold actions".

But closing a "JMB window" on a mouse click... not sure.
Doesn't feel good to me.

> > So I thought, what about using the left  (or right, just pick the one
> > which
> > seems to work best) mouse button to toggle mouse movement sensitiveness!
> > It's certainly not a new concept, and some mice have this as a seperate
> > button
> > and use a hardware based implementation.
>
> Or how about using both buttons, one to accelerate mouse sensitivity, the
> other to slow it down, like shifting gears.

Yeah sure, good point!

Thanks,