Re: [Traverso-devel] bas sound with alsa, no sound with jack

From: Nicola Doebelin
Subject: Re: [Traverso-devel] bas sound with alsa, no sound with jack
Date: Sun, 4 Feb 2007 12:19:32 +0100

Oops, sorry for posting to your personal address. Once again for the list:

Am Samstag, 3. Februar 2007 15:20 schrieben Sie:
> hey, excellent!  took me a minute to figure out that I had to drag
> between the inputs and outputs, but now it works spectacularly well.

Nice that it works for you now.

> Is this something I have to do every time I start up traverso?  is there
> a way to automate it from the commandline?  qjackctl is a bit
> frustrating for me, I run gnome and for some reason the window
> disappears entirely every time I switch focus away from it.  and it
> would be nice to just put a command in a script to run traverso and then
> set up the connection.

At the moment I don't know of any other way to set up the connections.
Traverso doesn't do it by default (although it should be possible, at least
xmms does it). I couldn't find any way to get jackd to connect it from the
command line either. Although this should be possible as well.

So qjackctl is the only working solution for me ATM (or ALSA of course).

> anyway, it's great to have jack working.  I'm a little puzzled at the
> poor quality of sound from ALSA, though, and wondering if I can fix that
> somehow.  Basically it's a slight static edge which is sometimes a
> little worse than that, a serious fuzz that interferes with
> understanding the track.  WHen I first started working with ardour and
> jack I had a similar issue, but I solved it by increasing the number of
> periods in the jack deamon to 3.  Can I do something similar to the
> traverso alsa driver?  I notice I get the following errors when I switch
> from jack to alsa in traverso:

Strange, does it work with other applications (e.g. xmms) or is it just
traverso?

> jack_client_thread zombified - exiting from JACK
> creating alsa driver ... hw:0|hw:0|4096|2|48000|0|0|-|32bit
> configuring for 48000 Hz, period = 4096 frames, buffer = 2 periods
> Starting AudioDeviceThread..... Running!
> Running realtime
> late driver wakeup: nframes to process = 8192
> late driver wakeup: nframes to process = 8192
> late driver wakeup: nframes to process = 8192
> late driver wakeup: nframes to process = 8192
> late driver wakeup: nframes to process = 8192
>
> anything I can do to fix these?

Sorry, no idea.

> thanks for this.  all the packages installed fine, but I'm having
> trouble compiling.  followed the instructions above, but qhile qmake
> succeeds, make fails very quickly with a long string of error messages
> that end in this:

Are you sure that the Qt4-versions of qmake, uic, and moc are used? You should
do:

sudo update-alternatives --config qmake
sudo update-alternatives --config uic
sudo update-alternatives --config moc

and always select the Qt4 version. Then do a ./cleancompile from within the
traverso directory. This script removes all traces of previous compiles and
calls qmake and make.

> is it possible I'm using a gcc version that's too recent, or something
> like that?  I don't know much about compiling, but I remember having
> that issue with various kernels I've installed...

If the above doesn't help, maybe Remon should chime in and rescue us...

> thanks, looking forward to hearing more,

My pleasure. By the way there's no need to hurry with the cvs version, because
we are in the middle of implementing a new theme engine, and today the main
window was just black and completely unusable. However, Remon (the project
leader) is very quick in resolving such stuff. So hopefully it's only a
matter of hours.

I have a question for you, as you seem to be a native English speaker. I'm
writing a manual for traverso, currently its between 20 and 30 A5 pages, but
it should become a complete reference in future. Since my native language is
not English, it would be great if you could review it and improve it
language-wise. In one month or so I hope to have most of the chapters ready.
At the moment the features of traverso change rapidly, which makes it a bit
hard to write a command reference for example. If you agree to support me
(which I would highly appreciate) I could send you the finished chapters in a
couple of days/weeks.

Nice sunday!
Nic