vcgdotgnu-developers

Re: [Vcgdotgnu-developers] Copyright issues with GNUVcg project

From: James Michael DuPont
Subject: Re: [Vcgdotgnu-developers] Copyright issues with GNUVcg project
Date: Wed, 9 Feb 2005 14:42:19 -0800 (PST)

According to the GPL faq, I am in line with the law :

1. The GPL says that anyone who receives a copy of your version from
you has the right to redistribute copies (modified or not) of that
version. It does not give you permission to distribute the work on any
more restrictive basis.

I received a copy of his version. He got that version from the other
copyright holders  under the gpl. The GPL WAS ON THE FILE TO BEGIN
WITH!!!!

The copyright line says : "/*
 *   Copyright (C) 1993--1995 by Georg Sander, Iris Lemke, and
 *                               the Compare Consortium
 *
 *  This program and documentation is free software; you can
redistribute
 *  it under the terms of the  GNU General Public License as published
by
 *  the  Free Software Foundation;  either version 2  of the License,
or
 *  (at your option) any later version.
 *
 *  This  program  is  distributed  in  the hope that it will be
useful,
 *  but  WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY;  without  even  the  implied  warranty
of
 *  MERCHANTABILITY  or  FITNESS  FOR  A  PARTICULAR  PURPOSE.  See
the
 *  GNU General Public License for more details.
 *
 *  You  should  have  received a copy of the GNU General Public
License
 *  along  with  this  program;  if  not,  write  to  the  Free
Software
 *  Foundation, Inc., 675 Mass Ave, Cambridge, MA 02139, USA.
 *
 *  The software is available per anonymous ftp at ftp.cs.uni-sb.de.
 *  Contact  address@hidden  for additional information.
 */

So, George got a copy of the file with the GPL license in it from Iris
and the Compare Consortium.

If iris lemke, and the compare consortium agreed to give sander a copy
of this file under the terms of the gpl as stated in the file
then, he has the right to give it to me and i can publish it.

It is an unbroken chain of events. I dont see any problem except that
there are some small problems with the copyright headers being lost
from some overzealous perl script.

Mike

=====
James Michael DuPont