w3-dev

[W3-dev] Re: wrong font-size calculations in css.el and font.el

From: Magnus Henoch
Subject: [W3-dev] Re: wrong font-size calculations in css.el and font.el
Date: Sat, 10 Mar 2007 03:24:43 +0100

Klaus Straubinger <address@hidden> writes:

> The function css-expand-length does not take the default character size
> in pixels into account when calculating em and ex values. This results
> typically in values very much too large.

I'm not quite sure about this anymore... It seems to me that
css-expand-length is supposed to return the number of character cells
needed to fill the given length (at least w3-display-handle-list-type
in w3-display.el assumes that; see the format string involving
"margin"), not the length in points; the previous version did the
former, but apparently (see <URL:http://article.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.
devel/67607>) this makes lists annoyingly wide.  What problem was this
change supposed to solve?

Magnus