web-trans-coord-discuss

Re: [Web-trans] Re: responsiveness check

From: Praveen Kamat
Subject: Re: [Web-trans] Re: responsiveness check
Date: Sun, 3 Oct 2004 10:18:48 -0700 (PDT)

--- Ofer Waldman <address@hidden> wrote:

> ... The format you sent me (XLXLS Microsoft
> excel), is a closed format so we'd better not use
> it, especially not for GNU purposes :)

I agree but the laptop I use has Windows XP and I am
still figuring out how to non-destructively partition
the hard disk for a GNU/Linux installation.

> you need an account in savannah.gnu.org ...
> Let me know once you're there, and
> I'll give you the needed permissions.

savannah.gnu.org account is 'KamatP'
Subscription approved as member of Savannah groups:
- www.gnu.org (9/20/04)
- GNU Translation Coordinators (10/02/04)

> the coordinators list is definitely
> outdated, we don't know who's active, and we don't
> know who are the people within each team.

Based on the responses received so far which seem to
indicate that several language teams are either
inactive or defunct should we consider updating the
mailing lists and the <.../README.translations.html>
web page. I am hesitant to suggest revising the list
and removing the inactive team lead contacts in case
they have only been slow to respond but I think we
need to start somewhere to accurately reflect the
current situation.

> ...  we also don't actively create and encourage
> translation teams, we only accept suggestions for
> such. we also don't have statistic on what is
> translated and how much is left.

As a next step should we begin to take an inventory of
what has been translated and what needs to be based on
some kind of prioritization of the originals.

> By the way, what languages do you master? where are
> you from? (just curious)

I did programming in C/C++ and Visual Basic but that
was almost 10-12 years ago. Since then as a project
manager at GE responsible for automation software
installations in the automotive industry I have been
several steps removed from active programming.
The past few years I have been reading up on and
familiarizing myself with the free software movement
and am in complete agreement with its underlying
philosophy of community, sharing, and freedom.
I have now parted company with my corporate career and
am networking to support community radio projects in
the USA and India and the advocacy/promotion of the
free software movement. For me the free software
movement represents creative solidarity at its best
and a model to emulate in all of our other social
endeavors
As you can imagine I have been completely dependent on
the Microsoft platform and am working to slowly wean
myself away from it towards using free software. I
have my desktop partitioned and setup with Redhat
Linux 9.0

> And another "by the way", we _must_ find a way to
> avoid all the SPAM. our list archive is flooded with
> junk-mail...

Some of us had brought this to the attention of RMS
who had the sysadmin setup some form of anti-spam
filter on the web-trans mailing list. The situation
seems to have improved but it does not appear to have
stopped the spams completely.

Regards,
PrPraveen