weechat-support

[Weechat-support] Problem connecting to irc.freenode.net - debian squeez

From: Chris Jones
Subject: [Weechat-support] Problem connecting to irc.freenode.net - debian squeeze
Date: Sun, 08 Nov 2009 17:32:22 -0500

I'm ironing out some issues after an upgrade to debian testing - aka
"squeeze" and one of them affects weechat.

I use the following command to start weechat:

$ weechat-curses
irc://address@hidden/#weechat,#debian,#elinks,#screen,#windowmaker,#mutt,#vim,#lilug,#cgdb,#tmux

The outcome on this new system is that weechat fails to connect to
freenode because the argument of the command is apparently mangled
presumably before weechat gets a chance to parse it.

Here's a "screenshot":

15:02:13     Pu      | irc: connecting to server Pu???}?/6667...
15:02:13 weechat     | Plugins loaded: alias, aspell, charset[..]
15:02:13     Pu  =!= | irc: address "Pu???}?"  not found
15:02:13     Pu      | irc: reconnecting to server in 30 seconds
15:02:43     Pu      | irc: reconnecting to server...
15:02:43     Pu      | irc: connecting to server Pu???}?/6667...
15:02:43     Pu  =!= | irc: address "Pu???}?"  not found
15:02:43     Pu      | irc: reconnecting to server in 30 seconds
 ..

If I shorten the command, keeping only the first 3-4 channels, weechat
connects to freenode with no problem.

This does not happen on debian stable (lenny) and since debian testing
ships the same version of weechat, it looks like weechat is the victim,
not the culprit.

Besides, once weechat is up, I have no problem connecting manually to
irc.freenode.net.

I also found that changing my locale to en_US (ISO8859-1) fixes the
problem.

On the other hand, switching to rxvt or the linux console, or invoking
weechat under dash instead of bash does not make any difference.

Save hacking the code, I was wondering if there was any way I could have
weechat spit out the exact input it receives from the shell.

Maybe.. maybe.. taking a look at the exact argv string might yield
clues as to what's going on under the covers.

Not even sure where I could report this problem at this point - debian
possibly... ??

So not likely a weechat issue, but maybe someone has seen this or might
have ideas how to debug?

Thanks,

CJ