weechat-support

Re: [Weechat-support] Prevent WeeChat from overwriting its own configura

From: Nils G
Subject: Re: [Weechat-support] Prevent WeeChat from overwriting its own configuration files
Date: Sun, 3 Apr 2016 07:37:17 +0200

Am 03.04.2016 um 01:07 schrieb Jérémie Roquet:

> Note that my settings are preserved, but the file itself is
> overwritten by settings I don't want in it (mostly because they are
> the defaults, so I don't care, plus I hate having settings I don't
> need or understand in my dotfiles). Also, formating and comments are
> lost.
If you remove settings from config files they will be restored.
Once again, don't edit config files manually. Use /set command or /iset script!

> 3) weechat.look.save_config_on_exit = off seems to preserve
> weechat.conf and only weechat.conf (sorry, I missed that before
> sending my first email).
All config files will be saved on exit, execpt layouts!

> So, are these two bugs? Or is it by design that:
No. Don't mess with config files. This is a user bug!

> 1) files are created on startup when I've deleted them;
Config files will be re-created on startup, if they are missing.

> 2) files others than weechat.conf are overwritten on /quit even with
> weechat.look.save_config_on_exit = off.
No, they won't be overwritten if you set option to "off". But you have
to set this option inside weechat. If you manually edit config file the
option will be overwritten and never take effect.

Don't delete any line from weechat.conf (or any other config file!)
or add something to it.

You can disable option "save_config_on_exit" and manually /save config file if
you want.

Once again: use /set command or /iset script to change configuration.
Its not a weechat bug, its a user bug!