wp-mirror-list

[Wp-mirror-list] Fwd: [Offline-l] Building a ZIM file with images

From: wp mirror
Subject: [Wp-mirror-list] Fwd: [Offline-l] Building a ZIM file with images
Date: Wed, 10 Oct 2012 16:39:55 -0400

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: wp mirror <address@hidden>
Date: Wed, 10 Oct 2012 16:28:21 -0400
Subject: Re: [Offline-l] Building a ZIM file with images
To: Using Wikimedia projects and MediaWiki offline
<address@hidden>

Dear Jason,
    In regards to WP-MIRROR, version 0.4 is currently in development
and, when ready, will install the 'simple' wiki by default.  A key
design objective of v0.4 is to completely automate the configuration
of its dependencies (MySQL, MediaWiki, cURL, etc).  The idea is that
it should 'just work'.
    If you are pressed for time, you can try using version 0.3. But,
as other users have remarked, it requires a fair bit of configuration
of dependencies.  Please see the discussion on
<http://lists.nongnu.org/archive/html/wp-mirror-list/>.
    In regards to disk space, I have a laptop that mirrors the
'simple' wiki.  Images and data currently occupy a bit under 50G.  Of
course this will grow over time as contributors add to the 'simple'
wiki.

Sincerely Yours,
Kent

On 10/10/12, Jason Skomorowski <address@hidden> wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I would like to build a ZIM file of the Simple English Wikipedia including
> the full resolution images for educational use in a region without reliable
>
> Internet access.
>
> So far as I can tell, I would need to:
<snip>
>...alternatively:
>
> * http://www.nongnu.org/wp-mirror/

<snip>
> Good plan? Better plan? Is there a flag on any of this to limit things to
> redistributable images so I can add a torrent for the resulting (est.
> 50-60Gb) file to the kiwix site?
<snip>