wp-mirror-list

Re: [Wp-mirror-list] [Xmldatadumps-l] Setting up a local Wikipedia mirro

From: wp mirror
Subject: Re: [Wp-mirror-list] [Xmldatadumps-l] Setting up a local Wikipedia mirror with extensions
Date: Fri, 17 Jan 2014 12:07:22 -0500

Dear Bastian,

I can recommend that you try Debian.  Mediawiki-1.19 LTS is available
as a DEB package, and so are several extensions that are compatible
with that version.

My recommendation is qualified however in that mediawiki-1.19 does not
render interlanguage links, infoboxes, references, or other features
that appeared during the year 2013. Some of the smaller, less
frequently updated wikipedias (e.g. `zuwiki') however are still render
well.

Wp-mirror-0.6 builds a mirror of `simplewiki' and `simplewiktionary'
out-of-the-box with no user configuration.  It is available as a DEB
package (home page <http://www.nongnu.org/wp-mirror/>).  That said,
wp-mirror-0.6 requires as dependencies the above mentioned DEB
packages for mediawiki-1.19 LTS and its extensions.  So the same
qualification as to rendering applies.

I am currently developing wp-mirror-0.7.  It will use mediawiki-1.23
LTS and therefore be able to make use of the `wikidatawiki', the
`scribunto' extension, and other recently developed features.  The
Reference Manual for wp-mirror-0.7 will also have a section on virtual
machines to make it easier for those running non-Debian distributions
to give wp-mirror a try.  I do not as yet have a release date.

Sorry I can not be of greater help to you at this time.  I will
however get in touch with you later when wp-mirror-0.7 ships.

Sincerely Yours,
Kent