[Xlog-discussion] Re: second 0.6 beta

From: Stephane Fillod
Subject: [Xlog-discussion] Re: second 0.6 beta
Date: Mon, 25 Feb 2002 22:38:08 +0100

On Tue, Feb 19, 2002, Joop Stakenborg wrote:
[...]
>   * Autosave function added, time can be set in minutes through the
> preferences
>     dialog. The log is saved if it has been changed.

nice and well thought feature

>   * Mode and signal strength is retrieved from the rig. Clickable buttons
> added
>     to the QSO frame.
>   * Created a dockable s-meter for the statusbar which uses a pixmap to draw
> the
>     signal level from S0-S9.

Who said Hamlib is not fun ? hi.

> Most noticable for users of xlog: from now on, logs will be saved to
>  ~/.xlog/log.xlog, the top line of this file will indicate the number of
> fields,
> field name and field width.

~/.xlog/log.xlog is good as a default. However, to me, only preferences
should go in the ~/.xlog directory. Data have a right to be somewhere
else. With a multi-log capability, instead of loading *.xlog from ~/.xlog,
maybe remembering in ~/.xlog/perferences the pathname of last open log
files should be enough. What do you think?

> Also, Stephane is now officialy a xlog developer ;-), see the AUTHORS file.
> So, next beta (probably the latest before 0.6) will hopefully have
> multiple logs and a configurable number of fields.

Ah! I'm waiting for the configurable number of fields for a long time.
Actually this is the only "feature" I still miss to switch to xlog as my
main  logging application. Why? because in France, we are _required_ to
log also the End time of the QSO and the transmitted Power.
And then, expect to see a patch to import twlog log files very quick ;-)

Cheers,
 Stephane