[Xlog-discussion] Re: Xlog, regarding logformat

From: Joop Stakenborg
Subject: [Xlog-discussion] Re: Xlog, regarding logformat
Date: Fri, 12 Apr 2002 20:44:24 +0200

On Tue, 9 Apr 2002 09:53:27 +0200 (CEST)
bobo <address@hidden> wrote:

> I am trying to make an enviroment for RTTY-contests using pike as a
> programming language, and i am looking into logging progams to use.
> I am interested in using Xlog for the logging portions of my project,
> however i do have some thoughts on Xlog,
> I would like to remove date, time and endtime as Date strings and GMT-
> time, instead i would like to use something like
>       int starttime, endtime;
> for use with the time() function. I believe this would remove some hassle
> by forcing timestrings to gmt, by using time, would only store the amount
> of seconds since 1jan1970, and using something like gmtime(int) or
> localtime(int) would return the time in the correct timezone!

I don't really want to change the date and time format, but I guess a
configurable date and time field should be okay, so people can decide which
format to use. However, currently there are a lot of other issues with xlog,
that I want to program first. Unless you can come up with a patch,
there is not a big chance that your date and time wishes will be in
any of the next versions.

> I would also like to change the frequency, to give me a exact frequency,
> taken directly from the radio with hamlib,
> that would allow me to check the log after or during the contest, to se
> how much i wait and listen, and how much i am actively searching for other
> stations.

Right now, xlog does exactly that. Frequency is read from the rig, as the
rig offers it. With my TS-870, I can read the operating frequency with 10 Hz
accuracy.

> Another feature would be to add support for multioperator, IE add a field
> like :    string operator;
>
> Two other fields would be the multiplicator, and points fields to be added
> to the shared memory interface

Version 0.7 will have free fields, which you can give any name. I will start
with 2 free fields, for the time being. Adding more fields will likely happen
in future versions.
Shared memory is intended for exchanging callsign data with twpsk. Xlog puts
data into shared mem, which is read by twpsk, so it's exactly the other way
around.

> As i understand from files sendtoxlog and fromxlog [.c] you can send and
> reciev information from the logs, but is it possible to update a log entry
> by using the shared memory?

The way to go would be through IPC message queues. It is explained in
sendtoxlog.c
and the README.

73,
Joop PA4TU