Re: [Xlog-discussion] xlog-0.9.8

From: Joop Stakenborg
Subject: Re: [Xlog-discussion] xlog-0.9.8
Date: Fri, 15 Oct 2004 20:31:46 +0200

Op vr 15-10-2004, om 10:57 schreef Alexandru Csete:
> Greetings,

Hi Alex,

> I have done some testing of the latest release of xlog and I have found some
> weak
> points, some of which are quite critical. I will describe each of them in the
> following, including how to reproduce them.
>

> 1. When starting xlog for the first time, ie. no ~/.xlog/, the 'xlog - setup'
> dialog
> comes up. After pressing 'OK' the dialog didisappears and xlog crashes with:
>
> I/O warning : failed to load external entity
> "/home/alexc/.xlog/preferences.xml"
> Creating a new preferences file...
> Segmentation fault

Thanks, fixed in the upcoming release. I was hoping nobody would
notice....

> ~/.xlog/ is created with log.xlog and preferences.xml and next time I start
> xlog
> everthing seems fine; well, maybe except that only the 'NR' field is shown
> for the
> newly created empty log (I don't know whether this is normal).

Yes, fixed in 0.9.9.

> 2. Next, go to Settings -> Preferences -> Hamlib and
>      - Enable Hamlib
>      - Enble polling (500msec or any val. > 0)
>      - Show s-meter
>
> Pressing 'OK' and the s-meter shows a "noisy image" and on the command line I
> get
> the following:
>
> (xlog:3391): Gdk-CRITICAL **: file gdkdraw.c: line 411 (gdk_draw_rectangle):
> assertion `GDK_IS_DRAWABLE (drawable)' failed
> (xlog:3391): Gdk-CRITICAL **: file gdkdraw.c: line 650 (gdk_draw_drawable):
> assertion `GDK_IS_DRAWABLE (drawable)' failed
>
> After the next update (polling), the s-meter display looks fine. I have seen
> this
> behaviour before (not in xlog) and I think it is because you are trying to
> draw on a
> GdkDrawable before it is exposed, which is dangereous, since various
> x-resources
> related to the GdkDrawable are not created until it is exposed for the first
> time.

I have been wondering about this for a long time. You are right about
the unexposed drawable. It never caused me any trouble, except for the
noisy messages when you use the s-meter for the first time. Maybe it's
good to add this to the TODO list.

> 3. Next, Settings -> Preferences -> Hamlib -> Disable Hamlib. Pressing 'OK'
> gives:
>
> (xlog:3391): GLib-CRITICAL **: file gstrfuncs.c: line 1728
> (g_ascii_strcasecmp):
> assertion `s2 != NULL' failed
> (xlog:3391): GLib-CRITICAL **: file gstrfuncs.c: line 1727
> (g_ascii_strcasecmp):
> assertion `s1 != NULL' failed

Fixed in 0.9.9.

> 4a. Exit xlog and restart. In the preferences enable hamlib, enable polling
> but
> leave the timeout at 0 msec. and show the s-meter and the frequency. Press
> 'OK' and:
> (xlog:3410): Gdk-CRITICAL **: file gdkdraw.c: line 411 (gdk_draw_rectangle):
> assertion `GDK_IS_DRAWABLE (drawable)' failed
>
> (xlog:3410): Gdk-CRITICAL **: file gdkdraw.c: line 650 (gdk_draw_drawable):
> assertion `GDK_IS_DRAWABLE (drawable)' failed
>
> and the funny image (attached xlog-no-clock.png) with the xlog logo instead of
> s-meter digits appear :)
> Disable hamlib and exit.
>

> 4b. Do the same as in 4a, but also enable the clock on the status bar. Pres
> 'OK':
>
> (xlog:10472): Gdk-CRITICAL **: file gdkdraw.c: line 411 (gdk_draw_rectangle):
> assertion `GDK_IS_DRAWABLE (drawable)' failed
> (xlog:10472): Gdk-CRITICAL **: file gdkdraw.c: line 650 (gdk_draw_drawable):
> assertion `GDK_IS_DRAWABLE (drawable)' failed
>
> and again, a strange s-meter is shown (see xlog-with-clock.png).
> Now, disable hamlib in the preferences and press'OK':
>
> (xlog:10460): GLib-CRITICAL **: file gstrfuncs.c: line 1728
> (g_ascii_strcasecmp):
> assertion `s2 != NULL' failed
>
> Then go back to the Preferences, General and disable the clock on statusbar =>
> segmentation fault
>
> Note that the crash does not happen if polling is greater than 0 msec!
> although the
> glib critical still comes.

Interesting. It's great to see what errors people can actually find if
they start fooling around with xlog. I will have a go at it. Hate to see
xlog crashing.

> That's all for now. I will report any further findings as they come.

The next version shouldn't be to far away. I am working on gnome desktop
integration. With the new version a mimetype for xlog is added and you
can open xlog files from within nautilus. There is also a nice mime
icon. It will be interesting to see in how far the distributions follow
the freedesktop guidelines for this.

I guess I should also add the KDE mime stuff before 1.0 comes out. Don't
know how to do this in KDE yet though ....

> Cheers,
>
> Alex
> OZ9AEC

Joop PG4I