Re: [Xlog-discussion] Developers: AF_INET socket patch

From: Joop Stakenborg
Subject: Re: [Xlog-discussion] Developers: AF_INET socket patch
Date: Wed, 19 Oct 2005 09:51:37 +0200

Op za, 01-10-2005 te 12:07 -0700, schreef Mike:
> Clients from any OS could send their log data to xlog. This is a patch
> to xlog that allows socket based connections from other computers to send
> their
> log data to xlog over the local network.  You would only have to run one
> version of xlog.   This works in a similar fashion to the message queues
> currently in xlog.

Very nice Mike, I like the idea.

> Caveats:
> It is up to Joop to decide if he wants to use this code or not in future
> releases of xlog.
> People will have to write real clients to send the data over the network.
>
> Tell me what you think.  I am sure it's not perfect.  But it works.

I would rather not use theading at the expense of using twice the amount
of memory. I think there is a nice possibility in glib which doesn't
depend on threading and uses g_io_add_watch to monitor the socket. I
will send a patch to the list in a while, so you can try this.

> 73,
> Mike K6EEP

Thanks for your contribution,

Regards,