Re: [Xlog-discussion] The problem with ctrl-a (suggestions?)

From: Joop Stakenborg
Subject: Re: [Xlog-discussion] The problem with ctrl-a (suggestions?)
Date: Tue, 09 Dec 2008 22:39:24 +0100

Op dinsdag 09-12-2008 om 11:39 uur [tijdzone -0800], schreef Leonard J.
Umina:
> Writelog uses Ctrl-w which might be "Write" QSO to move you to the QSO
> entry dialog.
> This is easy to hit with your left hand.
>
> As you make an entry you can tab to the fields which works well.
>
> When you hit ENTER the QSO entry is transferred to the log.

Thanks Len!
ctrl-w seems like a good idea...

> A related feature I've tested is a hot key in the entry window which
> is the space bar.
> I know it sounds a bit crazy, but I wrote some logging software once
> and it worked really
> well.  Since nothing requires spaces except a comment field if you hit
> the space bar from
> any field the software would clear all fields and abort the entry.
> After you get used to it
> its VERY fast - especially for search and pounce and pileups.
>
> You can enter the call into the form - if it comes up a dupe you hit
> space bar and its
> gone, resetting to a blank interface.  It needs to be active in all
> fields where space is not
> permitted - so if you start to copy part of a previous exchange you
> can abort as soon
> as you realize the callsign is a dupe.

Okay, sounds interesting. But also sounds a bit risky. Maybe I should
give it a try in one of the contests and see how it works.

> Tab and shift tab should move you between the entry fields.

Yes, that is how it works in xlog.

> Does anyone know if there is a way to use a USB LPT port for CW
> Keying?  I added
> one and I still get an error message from the cw deamon.    That's my
> hangup right now.  My linux PC has no parallel port which is how I key
> with writelog.
> I'd very much like to get away from Windows completely.

Oh boy, the next best thing, USB LPT ports... ;-)
I guess it should have some kind device name. The USB serial ports are
called /dev/ttyUSB0, /dev/ttyUSB1, etc. Maybe there is something similar
for LPT ports.

When you plug the device into the computer, do you see anything reported
in the system log when running linux (use dmesg for this)?

> /Len
> WT6G

Joop PG4I