Re: [Xlog-discussion] Re: bug #27477

From: Joop Stakenborg
Subject: Re: [Xlog-discussion] Re: bug #27477
Date: Mon, 07 Feb 2011 14:54:10 +0100

On Mon, 07 Feb 2011 12:04:48 +1300, Graeme wrote:
Hi Joop,

 Thanks for looking at this. A few comments to help you decide the
best approach to the problem:

 At present as each character is typed in for a call, a name and qth
lookup occurs if the name and qth fields are blank which of course
means that if you are entering say zl2cde and zl2cd exists then the
name and qth will be filled in as this is entered and the lookup will
fail when the "e" is entered.

 Two approaches (possibly more) can be made:
 1. Don't do a lookup until {Enter} or {Tab} are keyed or the call
edit box is exited.
 2. On each key stroke, erase the name and qth edit boxes and let the
lookup occur in the normal way.

 Unfortunately this will introduce another problem:

 If you have recorded zl2cd as the call and missed the last letter of
what was really zl2cde due to qrm etc. and record the name and qth and
later in the qso realise that there is an error in the call and fix
it, amending the call will erase the correct name and qth you have
already recorded.

 Possibly using {tab} to exit the call edit box could allow you to
exit without doing a lookup and any other method does a lookup.

 Sorry I don't have a solution but at least I have flagged some of
the problems.

 73 Graeme ZL2APV

Wooooo, sounds like a though one Graeme! Thanks for explaining things.
Can I send you a patch when I have found a solution? In other words,
do you know how to compile source code and apply patches?

Thanks,
Joop PG4I