zonecheck-tests

Re: [zonecheck-tests] Not able to find MX record?

From: Shane Kerr
Subject: Re: [zonecheck-tests] Not able to find MX record?
Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2008 17:10:32 +0100

Stephane,

On Thu, Jan 10, 2008 at 04:48:36PM +0100, Stephane Bortzmeyer wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 10, 2008 at 04:07:58PM +0100,
>  Shane Kerr <address@hidden> wrote
>  a message of 26 lines which said:
>
> >  The IP address of the Mail eXchanger can't be resolved
> >
> >     * The MX mxbackup.gradwell.net. representing the host name doesn't
> >       have an IP address.
>
> Please give the context (Zonecheck indicates the name/address of the
> name server it tested).

The lines are (after telling Zonecheck to continue on failure):

    * borg.c-l-i.net./192.16.192.99
    * ns5.zoneedit.com./72.9.106.82
    * ns3.zoneedit.com./72.51.43.223

This is for my own domain, time-travellers.org, which uses the
mxbackup.gradwell.net as an MX backup (should be obvious from the
name).

None of these servers know anything about mxbackup.gradwell.net, so
there is no reason they should resolve an IP address (unless they are
running as open resolvers, which I am pretty sure they are not).

> > Yet it really does have an IP address:
> >
> >   $ host mxbackup.gradwell.net.
> >   mxbackup.gradwell.net has address 193.111.201.135
>
> From the point of view of your default resolver, yes, may be not
> from others.

"dig +trace mxbackup.gradwell.net" seems to indicate all is well, but
it is impossible to tell of course...

--
Shane