a2ps

Using OCR font with ghostscript and a2ps

From: Emma Francis
Subject: Using OCR font with ghostscript and a2ps
Date: Mon, 30 Dec 2002 19:11:39 -0500

--
Hi,
I'm trying to convert a text file to a tiff using ghostscript and a2ps
and an OCR font, because I need to recover it using a scanner. However
after configuring ghostscript to accept this new font, and using a
prologue file which is as follows -

Documentation
Uses a true type font used so that it can be easily recognised
EndDocumentation

% -- code follows this line --
%%IncludeResource: file base.ps
%%IncludeResource: file a2ps.hdr
%%BeginResource: procset a2ps-OCR_Clear-Prolog 2.0 1

/p {
  0 0 0 FG
  false BG
  false UL
  false BX
  Show
} bind def

/sy {
  0 0 0 FG
  false BG
  false UL
  false BX
  Show
} bind def

/k {
  0 0 0 FG
  false BG
  false UL
  false BX
  Show
} bind def

/K {
  0 0 0 FG
  false BG
  false UL
  false BX
  Show
} bind def

/c {
  0 0 0 FG
  false BG
  false UL
  false BX
  Show
} bind def

/C {
  0 0 0 FG
  false BG
  false UL
  false BX
  Show
} bind def

/l {
  0 0 0 FG
  false BG
  false UL
  false BX
  Show
} bind def

/L {
  1 1 1 FG
  false BG
  false UL
  false BX
  Show
} bind def

/str {
  0 0 0 FG
  false BG
  false UL
  false BX
  Show
} bind def

/e{
  1 1 1 FG
  false BG
  false UL
  false BX
  Show
} bind def

%%EndResource
%%BeginSetup
% The font for line numbering
/f# /Helvetica findfont bfs .6 mul scalefont def
%%EndSetup

I'm using the latest version of a2ps(4.13) and ghostscript 8.00.
I get no errors with a2ps but when I run ghostscript it objects to
minus signs and prints out -

     Substituting .notdef for minus

I'm using a .pfa and a .afm to represent the font. I included an entry
in the fontmaps of Ghostscript and a2ps, and the font exists in the
fonts directory of both.

Any ideas what is going wrong?? Any help would be appreciated :)

Cheers,
Emma