a2ps

Re: printing style, font

From: Jeff
Subject: Re: printing style, font
Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2007 07:39:39 +1000

Hi,

Depending on your level of expertise, and time constraints involved I might
suggest that for an input as simple as line oriented reports would easily be
transformed into a custom designed report by way of rolling your own
PostScript.

Steps.

Pick a language to process the text (I'd even be comfortable with PostScript
parsing the input >:)

Pick up a copy of this
http://www.adobe.com/products/postscript/pdfs/PLRM.pdf

and optionally, this
http://www.rightbrain.com/pages/book-download.shtmlshould you need a
softer introduction.

Pattern matching or setting rules for fixed length record positions on input
would allow you to customise font, colour etc and you can draw your own
illustrations or borders.

Page overflow is quite simple also, store your coordinates and increment the
y axis as you scoll move down the page. check before incrementing y that y
will not exceed a comfortable margin, if it does then `showpage'.

Sorry for the non a2ps solution, but it's what I'd be inclined to do to gain
additional flexibility.

Jeff