ac-archive-maintainers

xml headers

From: Guido Draheim
Subject: xml headers
Date: Mon, 20 Jan 2003 02:28:45 +0100

The xml format is perhaps a bit complex, where the
m4 data is put into the cdata sections at the
moment. It might be good to keep the xml information
separate from the raw m4 macro - you did say sth like
it would be possible to store them separatly but I am
not that sure actually. hmmm.

What I am currently thinking about is a dual mode for
m4 macros, so they can store a short synopsis information
within the m4 source code - that is actually what the
autoconf main sources do as well. A longer explanation
can be found in other places - perhaps we should see
the xml parts as that other place to store longer
documentation about the macro.

Perhaps I can find a way to extract textonly information
from the xml format - in general that should be
possible with a few perl rules, as too keep up a
simple macro version to format to html. I know that
a full-flegded xml format can provide for a lot more
options and output formats, so let's see how much
can be gained from it :-)

-- cheers, guido