ac-archive-maintainers

I'd like to help with the C++ section of AC archive

From: Alexander Konovalenko
Subject: I'd like to help with the C++ section of AC archive
Date: Thu, 24 Jul 2003 14:24:29 +0400 (MSD)

Hello,

A long time ago I offered Peter Simons my assistance with the C++ section of
the GNU autoconf macro archive.  Now it seems that I've got enough free time
finally.

This is a draft to-do list of what I would like to do:

 - Add enough macro meta-information for proper copyright notices, see (*)
below.

 - Replace obsolete autoconf constructs in the macros for C++ with their newer
versions.

 - Unify coding style of the macros for C++ checks.

 - Test the macros along with some non-trivial C++ code on several platforms
and fix bugs, enhance existing macros, and add new ones based the testing
experience.  I haven't yet examined the Boost portability framework, but I
think it may inspire some progress here, too.

Please notice that I'm far from an autoconf expert or anything, so my work
needs to be criticized and tested as much as possible.

(*) Legal

As far as I understand, maintainers of GNU software are required to keep proper
copyright notices on each file.  According to the guidelines, a copyright
notice must include a list of years when any released ancestor version of the
current version was completed.

Currently each meta-info for each macro contains just a last-modified date and
the name of the author, which is not enough to write such copyright notices.
(The small size of the macros is not an excuse for fixing copyright issues,
because if one uses several macros simultaneously they add up to be significant
from the point of view of the copyright law.)

I propose adding the above information to the meta-info of each macro.  Peter,
is it easy for you to extend your macro meta-info format so that each macro can
include a list of authors, and for each author - a list of years?  I can also
write a request for the required information with a short explanation of the
issue, which we'll be able to send to all the contributors of the archive.

Any comments are welcome.

  Regards,
    Alexander Konovalenko.