ac-archive-maintainers

ax_prog_python.m4

From: Dustin Mitchell
Subject: ax_prog_python.m4
Date: Thu, 24 Jul 2003 17:20:33 -0500

I noticed a significant lack of Python support in the ac macro archive.
So here's the first of two macros I use.  Let me know what you think.

--snip--
dnl @synopsis AX_PROG_PYTHON
dnl
dnl Locates an installed Python binary.  Accepts --with-python, and failing
dnl that searches for python in the path.  If python is found, $PYTHON is
dnl set to the full path of the binary; otherwise, nothing is changed.
dnl
dnl Example:
dnl
dnl   AX_PROG_PYTHON
dnl   if test -z "$PYTHON"
dnl   then
dnl     AC_MSG_ERROR("Python executable not found")
dnl   fi
dnl
dnl @author Dustin Mitchell <address@hidden>
AC_DEFUN([AX_PROG_PYTHON],
[
 AC_MSG_CHECKING(for --with-python)
 AC_ARG_WITH(python,
             AC_HELP_STRING([--with-python=PYTHON],
                            [absolute path name of Python executable]),
  [
    if test -f $withval -a -x $withval;
    then
       AC_MSG_RESULT($withval)
       PYTHON="$withval"
       AC_SUBST(PYTHON)
    else
       AC_MSG_RESULT($withval is not executable)
    fi
  ], [
    AC_MSG_RESULT(no)
  ])

  # if it's not found, check the paths.
  if test -z "$PYTHON"
  then
    AC_PATH_PROGS(PYTHON, [python2.2 python])
    AC_SUBST(PYTHON)
  fi
])
--snip--